Madaba sites and Church establishments has an interesting architecture and mosaic masterpieces found in the many churches and sites of the old city,the depiction of a rampant profusion of flowers and plants, birds and fish,
Animals and exotic beasts, as well as scenes from Mythology and everyday pursuits of hunting, fishing, and farming.
Literally, hundreds of other mosaics from the 5th through the 7th centuries are scattered throughout Madaba's churches and homes.
Madaba Visitor's Centre; opened 2011, located in the middle of the city and within walking distance of other sites, featuring photographs and images taken in 1902 – 1911, of the mosaic from St. Stephen’s church in Umm Al Rasas, Mukawir and other mosaic of Madaba and the area around.
Greek Orthodox Church of St. George; a 19th century Greek Orthodox Church built over a Byzantine church, the church also includes some icons and halos, and image of St George slaying the dragon, and an embroidered depiction of Jesus, it houses the famous Mosaic Map of Palestine and the Holy Land.
The Mosaic Map of Palestine; this Mosaic Map is a true geographic map of Palestine-Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Sinai and Egypt, first discovered in 1896 at the ruins and was originally part of the floor of a Byzantine church, but only one fourth of the original mosaic had survived.
Cathedra - Church of St John the Baptist; a Roman Catholic Church located on top of the hill at old town of Madaba and often called the Cathedral. It has an impressive museum containing fine paintings and themes of the life of john the Baptist, the church used for regular daily service and Sunday masses only.
Church of the Apostles; date to 578 C.E. only ruins of this Byzantine church left with the impressive mosaics called the Personification of the Sea, this mosaic is an art work of a mosaicist named Salamanios, a remarkable mosaic dedicated to the 12 apostles. With a woman represent the sea in the centre (Thalassa) surrounded by fish and marine creatures, animals, birds, flowers and fruits.
Madaba Museum; established on the site of an ancient chapel, located within a few blocks south of St. George’s Church, It contains a collection of excellent mosaics in best condition. The museum also exhibits traditional dress from the Madaba, and other Jordanian regions with jewelry and pottery dated to various ages.
Tell Madaba; an archaeological site still under excavation, located in the heart of old madaba, contains the largest fortified wall in Jordan dated back to the Iron Age, also it has the remains of a Byzantine villa.
Madaba Archaeological Park
School of Mosaics; Madaba Institute for Mosaic Art & Restoration, MIMAR was originally a school upgraded to an institute that consists of a work shop used for the production and restoration of mosaics including the reproduction of the mosaic map in St George’s Church, and the mosaic at the Archaeological Park and other sites in Jordan.
The Hippolytus Hall; related to the Greek tragedy Hippolytus, field of the mosaic shows some of the major characters of the story of Phaedra and Hippolytus, a tragedy known from Euripides in Greek and Seneca in Latin. Related to Greco - Roman era and the cities of Rome, Gregoria and Madaba, with captions reveal the names of the characters connected to Hippolytus with his ministers and a servant.
The Church of the Virgin; the Church of the Virgin Mary built at the end of the 6th century AD in the roman Street on the remains of a Roman monument. The mosaic of the church was renovated during the early Umayyad Period.
The Roman Road; is at the northern part of Madaba city, in an east-west direction connecting the Church of the Virgin, the Church of Prophet Elijah with its crypt anddiverting to the south towards the area of the Burnt Palace, the Church of the Holy Martyrs (Al-Khadir) and the Church of the Sunna’ family.
The Church of the Prophet Elias; the church of the Prophet Elias and the Crypt of St Elianos located at the northern quarter of Archaeological Park in front of the church of the Virgin, dated back to the year 595 A.D. with inscription of the upper church, discovered in 1897.
The Burnt Palace; was a large residential complex located north of the Roman Road, dated back to the late 6th Century A.D. destroyed by fire and earthquake around 749 A.D.
Welcome to our New Website - Please send us your feedback.
All tours, itineraries, photography, illustration, design, and layout on this website is the copyright of Via Jordan Travel & Tours 2003 - 2018. For more information, please contact us, call us or write or fax our office in Aqaba: Office Telephone: 00962 3 2022990, Fax: 00962 3 2022990, Please call our mobile which is available 7 days / 24 hours: 00962 79 554 9974 Thank you.